May 3, 2006

Eat Local or Die? Thoughts on local eating New Hampshire style

There's a lot of buzz out there about the eat local challenge the whole month of May.) While. It's up and running nationwide (for that's great for those living out in California, here in the northeast the folkfood plan is to do the "ELC" in August when there's more than eggs and frozen meats to be had for staples. While that's admittedly taking some of the "challenge" out of it, the point is to set reasonable goals, and to get in touch with local farmers, who in New England spend most of May (a.k.a. mid/late mud season) planting, not harvesting. However, there are a few things that are just getting ready in the field. Lettuce, chard, and lovely radishes! I am debating whether or not we will have enough to bring to market this Saturday.
I must admit that as a grower, I feel a bit disloyal not stepping up to the plate with the eat local thing. However given the current state of the fields (mostly unplanted) and my back (somewhat achey) there are only so many things a girl can do with a bunch of radishes. I am proud of all those die-hard locavores out there. I have a lot of homework to do before August!